If you were going to start a website to educate, inform, assist, and guide others about the profession of voiceover, what kinds of things would you include?
- Obviously you would want information about the craft of voice acting itself.
- You would have to include plenty of advice about the business aspect of having your own VO business.
- Topics would also include home studios, marketing, industry news, and links to other VO sites and talent.
If you updated your site daily, added guest posts from well respected VO professionals, and conducted yourself in a 100% credible way, you could become the ‘go-to’ source for the pulse of the voiceover industry.
Wow! Sounds like quite a website, huh? What would you call it? Here’s a hint:
That’s right Virginia, there is a Voiceover Santa Claus, and his name is John Florian. John is the force behind the site that so many of us have visited hundreds of times for ‘everything voiceover’ – VoiceoverXtra.com.
Have you dropped by to visit lately? If not, you should. John recently revamped and renovated the website, which now sparkles with an ‘easy-to-find-what-you’re-looking-for’ format and even more resources for both the newcomer and veteran behind the mic.
One of my favorite new additions to VoiceoverXtra.com is the weekly Poll Question. Thus far, through analysis of The Poll, I’ve learned the following about my peers in the VO biz:
- The 3 biggest challenges to newcomers in the voiceover business are 1) Home Studio Know-How; 2) Getting a Home Studio Set Up; and 3) Marketing for Jobs.
- The biggest challenges for experienced VO veterans are Marketing and Managing Time.
- 69% of respondents submit up to 10 online auditions per week.
- So far this week, 2/3 of the respondents are running their voiceover business as a sole proprietorship.
- And, finally, over 80% find the new VoiceoverXtra.com easier to navigate and ‘Love It’.
I’m sure I speak for many VO talent around the globe, in thanking John Florian for all that he brings to the voiceover community through VoiceoverXtra.com. Why not take some time to drop by for a visit today. I bet you find something useful, informative, and fun.